The growing of orchids at home is an art but the result will be a wonderful and refined flower. The right choice of pots for orchids is an important stage, ensuring the health and proper development of this delicate plant. In the online store getpotted.com you will find unique pots for your floral beauty so you can be sure of the impeccable quality of all products in the catalog. This online store offers only the best and modern pots for orchids, so that your flower would be healthy and has become a decoration of your interior.
There are 5 basic rules for choosing small or large orchid pots:
- Excessive moisture or non-drying soil is dangerous for the roots of the orchid, so special pots for orchids indoors are similar to a sieve from the bottom. It will be good, if the drainage holes will be located not only on the bottom, but on the sides of the pot to ensure better ventilation of the roots.
- The size of the pot for orchids is determined by the size of the roots. A very big pot is not needed here. When the flower grows from the previous pot, take the next size only for 1 cm bigger.
- The roots of orchids have a process of photosynthesis; these flowers get the nutrients from light and air which are necessary for their development.
- The orchid grows in height, so this plant is unstable. To increase the stability of the flower pot with put it in a heavy ornamental flowerpot. It does not have to be very big, but there should be a couple of centimeters of free space between the walls of the pot and the ornamental flowerpot.
- A transparent pot is a glass pot. However, it is difficult to grow a healthy orchid in a pot without drainage holes; this can only be done by professional florists. It is better to choose other materials, the choice is great.
Types of pots for orchids differ in the material from which they are made. The most common types are:
- A pot of artificial stone will be a good choice, as it does not heat up in the sun and has good stability. If you put large orchid pots on a table, a window sill, or a nightstand, it will not fall down and break.
- Wooden pots (braided from twigs) have good ventilation. Water from watering does not accumulate inside the pot and does not give the flower excessive moisture.
- Plastic pots are the most common choice. But not everyone wants to grow such a refined flower as an orchid in a simple plastic pot. This choice is practical, but you can choose additional pots. It is important to add a few holes, so that the flower gets the necessary air circulation.
- Ceramic pots are also a common choice because of their practicality, affordable price and a large selection of different designs. But here there is a significant disadvantage: an orchid can quickly die because of decaying roots. Add some holes inside the ceramic base.
When you have chosen a material then you need to choose its size. Pay attention to the following parameters:
- The height of the orchid pot should be equal to the diameter.
- You do not need to buy a large pot, just pick up the pot a little wider than the previous one.
- Select the size of the pot according to the size of the root system. Do not give the plant too much freedom, the flower loves a tight space.
Learn all the preferences of your orchid so that your flower will be beautiful and healthy for a long time. The choice of pots for orchids indoors has several differences from garden types. The orchid is afraid of drafts and hot air; it does not like direct sunlight but also does not like deep shadows. The best place for it is the window to the west and to the east. A light day for an orchid should last about 12 hours. So you need to add light with a lamp during a short daylight hours.